Community Policy & Guidelines
Mentors has been developed to enable people to connect with each other, enhance skill sets and grow businesses, these Terms govern your use of Mentors and the other products, features, apps, services, technologies and software that we offer (the Mentors Products or Products), except where we expressly state that separate terms (and not these) apply. These Products are provided to you by mentors.com.
Your commitments to Mentors and our Community
Who can use Mentors
Physically robust infrastructure is not enough if it fails to foster a healthy community. For this reason, you must:
- be at least eighteen (18) years of age;
- provide accurate information about yourself;
- create only one account (your own);
- not share your password or give access to your Mentors account to others; and
- must not have had your account previously disabled by us for violation of our policies
What can be shared and done on Mentors
We want people to use Mentors to express themselves and to share content that is important to them, but not at the expense of the safety and well-being of others or the integrity of our community. You therefore agree not to engage in the conduct described below (or to facilitate or support others in doing so):
You may not use our Products to do or share anything:
- That breaches these Terms, our Community Standards, and other Terms and Policies that apply to your use of Mentors
- That is unlawful, misleading, discriminatory or fraudulent.
- That infringes or violates someone else's rights, including their intellectual property rights.
- You may not upload viruses or malicious code, or do anything that could disable, overburden or impair the proper working or appearance of our Products.
- You may not access or collect data from our Products using automated means (without our prior permission) or attempt to access data that you do not have permission to access.
- You are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and password. We view any actions taken by your account as taken by you. Mentors will not be liable for any loss or damage from your failure to comply with this security obligation.
We can remove or restrict access to content that is in violation of these provisions. If we remove content that you have shared in violation of our Community Standards, we will let you know and explain any options you have to request another review, unless you seriously or repeatedly violate these Terms or if doing so may expose us or others to legal liability; harm our community of users; compromise or interfere with the integrity or operation of any of our services, systems or Products; where we are restricted due to technical limitations; or where we are prohibited from doing so for legal reasons.
To help support our community, we encourage you to report content or conduct that you believe violates your rights (including intellectual property rights) or our terms and policies.
The permissions you give Mentors
We need certain permissions from you to provide our services:
Permission to use content that you create and share: To provide our services,
we need you to give us some legal permissions (known as a ‘licence') to use content that you have posted. Your
content rights do not change. We do not claim ownership of your content that you post on or through the Service.
Instead, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights (like photos or
videos) on or in connection with our Service, you hereby grant to us a non-exclusive, royalty-free,
transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or
display, translate, and create derivative works of your content). When you delete content, it's no longer
visible to other users; however, it may continue to exist elsewhere on our systems where:
- Immediate deletion is not possible due to technical limitations (in which case, your content will be deleted within a maximum of 90 days from when you delete it);
- your content has been used by others in accordance with this licence and they have not deleted it (in which case, this licence will continue to apply until that content is deleted);
Where immediate deletion would restrict our ability to:
- investigate or identify illegal activity or breaches of our Terms and Policies (for example, to identify or investigate misuse of our Products or systems);
- comply with a legal obligation, such as the preservation of evidence; or
- comply with a request of a judicial or administrative authority, law enforcement or a government agency;
- in which case, the content will be retained for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it has been retained (the exact duration will vary on a case-by-case basis).
- In each of the above cases, this licence will continue until the content has been fully deleted.
- Permission to use your name, profile picture and information about your actions with platform content: You give us permission to show your name, profile picture, and information about your Community Rank, Member Level, Tribe Ambassador Status and Location (by country).
- Permission to update software that you use or download: If you download or use our software, you give us permission to download and install updates to the software where available.
Limits on using Mentors intellectual property
If you use content covered by intellectual property rights that we have and make available in our Products (for example, images, designs or videos that we provide, which you add to content that you create or share on Mentors), we retain all rights to that content, but not your content. You can only use our copyrights or trademarks (or any similar marks) as expressly permitted by our Brand Usage Guidelines or with our prior written permission. You must obtain our written permission to modify, create derivative works of, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract source code from us.
Updating our Terms
We work constantly to improve our services and develop new features to make Mentors and our products better for you and our community. As a result, we may need to update these Terms from time to time to accurately reflect our services and practices. We will only make changes if the provisions are no longer appropriate or if they are incomplete, and only if the changes are reasonable and take due account of your interests
We will notify you (by email or through our community) at least 30 days before we make changes to these Terms and give you an opportunity to review them before they go into effect, unless changes are required by law. Once any updated Terms are in effect, you will be bound by them if you continue to use our Products.
We hope that you will continue using Mentors, but if you do not agree to our updated Terms and no longer want to be part of Mentors, you can delete your account at any time.
Account suspension or termination
We want Mentors to be a place where the spirit of community is harnessed, so that users feel safe and welcome to express their ideas. If we determine that you have clearly, seriously or repeatedly breached our Terms or Policies, including in particular our Community Standards, we may suspend or permanently disable access to your account. We may also suspend or disable your account if you repeatedly infringe other people's intellectual property rights or where we are required to do so for legal reasons.
Where we take such action, we'll let you know and explain any options you have to request a review, unless doing so may expose us or others to legal liability; harm our community of users; compromise or interfere with the integrity or operation of any of our services, systems or products; or where we are restricted due to technical limitations; or where we are prohibited from doing so for legal reasons.
Limits on liability
In no event shall we or any other Mentors party be liable to you or any third party, for any special, punitive, incidental, indirect or consequential damages of any kind, or any damages whatsoever, including, without limitation, those resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether or not we have been advised of the possibility of such damages and on any theory of liability arising out of or in connection with the use of the service or any website referenced or linked to from the service.
Further, neither we, nor any other Mentors party, shall be liable in any way for any training or other third party goods and services offered through the service or for assistance in conducting commercial transactions with other users of the site.
Our Products, however, are provided "as is", and we make no guarantees that they will always be safe, secure or error-free, or that they will function without disruptions, delays or imperfections. To the extent permitted by law, we also DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. We do not control or direct what people and others do or say, and we are not responsible for their actions or conduct (whether online or offline) or any content that they share (including offensive, inappropriate, obscene, unlawful and other objectionable content).
We cannot predict when issues may arise with our Products. Accordingly, our liability shall be limited to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, and under no circumstances will we be liable to you for any lost profits, revenues, information or data, or consequential, special, indirect, exemplary, punitive or incidental damages arising out of or related to these Terms or Mentors products, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages.
Our responsibility for anything that happens on the site (also called "liability") is limited as much as the law will allow. If there is an issue with our site or service, we can't know what all the possible impacts might be. You agree that we won't be responsible ("liable") for any lost profits, revenues, information, or data, or consequential, special, indirect, exemplary, punitive, or incidental damages arising out of or related to these Terms, even if we know they are possible. This includes when we delete your content, information, or account.
Changes to fee structure
We reserve the right, at any time, to change any fees or charges for using any services provided on the site (or to begin charging fees for any free service).
Other terms that may apply to you
- If any portion of these Terms is found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect. If we fail to enforce any of these Terms, it will not be considered a waiver. Any amendment to or waiver of these Terms must be made in writing and signed by us.
- You will not transfer any of your rights or obligations under these Terms to anyone else without our consent.
- If you post or share content containing music, you must comply with our Music Guidelines.
- We always appreciate your feedback and other suggestions about our products and services. But you should know that we may use them without any restriction or obligation to compensate you, and we are under no obligation to keep them confidential.
- We reserve all rights not expressly granted to you.
We recognise how important it is for Mentors to be a place where people feel empowered to communicate, and we take our role seriously in keeping abuse off our service. With this in mind we've developed a set of Community Standards that outline what is and is not allowed on Mentors
To ensure that everyone's voice is valued, we take great care to craft policies that are inclusive of different views and beliefs, in particular those of people and communities that might otherwise be overlooked or marginalised.
Our commitment to voice
The goal of our Community Standards has always been to create a place for expression and give people a voice. Building community and creating a mentorship space depends on people's ability to share diverse views, experiences, ideas and information. We want people to be able to talk openly about the issues that matter to them, even if some may disagree or find them objectionable. Our commitment to expression is paramount, but we recognise that the Internet creates new and increased opportunities for abuse. For these reasons, when we limit expression, we do it in service of one or more the following values:
- Authenticity - this inspires loyalty and engagement. People are drawn to those who exude self-confidence, passion and trustworthiness.
- Dignity - we believe and stand for equality for all. This conscious sense makes people feel that they deserve respect and honour from others.
- Safety - expression that threatens people has the potential to intimidate, exclude or silence others and is prohibited on Mentors
Rules for all users
- You will use the Service only for lawful purposes and agree to not use the Service in any way that will infringe upon the use or rights of any other user.
- Your use of the Service is subject to all applicable laws and regulations, and you are solely responsible for the substance of your communications through the Service.
- You will not upload any copyrighted, trademarked, or proprietary materials on the Service without the expressed permission of the owner. You will not post any content that infringes on any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, or other intellectual property or proprietary right of any party.
- You assume full responsibility for the content of the Service offered.
- You agree that you will not engage in any behavior that constitutes unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk email (also known as "spamming"), chain letters, any other form of unauthorized solicitation, or any form of lottery or gambling.
- You will not share content from the Service with anyone who is not properly licensed to access the content.
- You will not upload, share, post, distribute or otherwise partake in any behavior that is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another’s privacy, tortious, contains explicit or graphic descriptions or accounts of sexual acts (including but not limited to sexual language of a violent or threatening nature directed at another individual or group of individuals), or otherwise violates our rules or policies.
- You will not partake in any behavior that victimizes, harasses, degrades, or intimidates an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, or disability.
- You will not share software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, or limit the functioning of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any data or other information of any third party.
- You will not impersonate any person or entity, including any of our employees or representatives.
- You will not use your account to breach security of another account or attempt to gain unauthorized access to another network or server. Not all parts of the Service may be available to you or other authorized users of the Service. You shall not interfere with anyone else’s use and enjoyment of the Service. Users who violate systems or network security may incur criminal or civil liability.
Rules for Trainings Published
When you publish a training on the Site, you agree to the following rules:
- Any content you submit to the site will not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material.
- You represent and warrant to Mentors that you will, at all times, conduct yourself in a professional manner and in compliance with all applicable laws.
- You understand that users have the ability to post a review of this class. We cannot control the contents of any such review and will not be held responsible for any information or opinions that a user may include in any such review.
- You may choose to remove content from your class and will continue to own such content.
- You grant us full ownership of any video content that we have filmed for you (live streaming). It is at our sole discretion to remove, add, or edit that video content.
- You agree that you will not submit content to Mentors that violates the Mentors Community Guidelines.
- Mentors reserves the right to, but is under no obligation, to delete the listing of any training at any time and for any reason.
Violence, criminal and high-risk behaviour
While we understand that people commonly express disdain or disagreement by threatening or calling for violence in non-serious ways, we remove language and inclusion that incites or facilitates serious violence. This includes, but is not limited to:
- misinformation that contributes to imminent violence or physical harm.
- terrorist organizations, hate organizations, criminal organizations, content that praises any of these organizations or coordination of support for any of these organizations.
- promotion or publicising violent crime, theft and/or fraud.
- content that depicts, promotes, advocates for or encourages participation in a high-risk viral challenge.
- content aimed at deliberately deceiving people to gain an unfair advantage or deprive another of money, property or legal right.
- content that depicts participation in or advocates for sexual exploitation.
Bullying and harassment
Bullying and harassment will not be tolerated. Context and intent matter, however, in certain instances, we require self-reporting because it helps us understand that the person targeted feels bullied or harassed.
Privacy violations and image privacy rights
We work hard to keep your account secure and safeguard your personal information in order to protect you from potential physical or financial harm. You should not post personal or confidential information about others without first getting their consent. While we hold our Community in the highest regard, for your own safety please do not post (of personal or others):
- personally identifiable information
- private financial information
- private contact information
As a business and growth focused platform, Mentors believes in the integrity of its users. Because of that we ask that you refrain from posting content that includes or alludes to:
- hate speech
- violence and graphic content
- nudity and sexual activity
- solicitation of any nature
- cruel and insensitive speech
Integrity and authenticity
We work hard to limit spam on our site. While we do not allow or engage in commercial advertising, we do monitor posts and comments of all users to ensure spam-like behavior is removed, as it can detract from people's ability to share and connect.
Inauthentic Behaviour and Misrepresentation
In our commitment to authenticity, we don't allow people to misrepresent themselves or the services they offer, or engage in behaviours designed to enable other violations under our Community Standards. We do this to create a space where users can trust the people and groups they interact with.
Respecting intellectual property
Freedom of expression, creativity and innovation in our community are key elements we promote for our users. Please be sure before you share anything in our community, that you have the right to do so. We ask that you respect other people's copyrights, trademarks and other legal rights. We are committed to helping people and organisations promote and protect their intellectual property rights. Our Terms of Service do not allow people to post content that breaches someone else's intellectual property rights, including copyright and trademark.
We comply with:
- User requests for removal of their own account
- Requests for removal of a deceased user's account from a verified immediate family member or executor
- Requests for removal of an incapacitated user's account from an authorised representative
Mentors Commercial Terms
The "Mentors Commercial Terms" or "Commercial Terms" apply to access or use of the Mentors Products (or Products), including Digital Business Lounge Tools, for any business or commercial purpose (except where we state that separate terms (and not these) apply to such access or use of a Mentors Product). This includes, but is not limited to, selling products or courses, developing apps, managing a group for a business or using our measurement services.
These Commercial Terms require the resolution of most disputes between you and us by binding arbitration on an individual basis; class actions and jury trials are not permitted.
As described in "The permissions you give us" section in our Terms, you grant us a licence to content that is covered by intellectual property rights (e.g. photos or videos) you share, post or upload on or in connection with our Products. For any access or use of the Mentors Products for business or commercial purposes, that licence applies to content that you make available on or in connection with any Mentors Product.
You also will ensure that you own or have secured all rights necessary to grant the licences and rights that you grant to us under the Commercial Terms and any applicable supplemental terms, including permission to display, distribute and deliver your content within Mentors Products.
Compliance with Law
You represent and warrant that your access or use of Mentors Products for business or commercial purposes complies with all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
In addition to and without limiting the requirements about who can use the Mentors Products under our Terms, if you are located in a country that is subject to embargo under the laws of the United States (or under similar laws applicable to you) you may not engage in commercial activities on Mentors Products unless authorised by applicable laws. You also may not access or use the Mentors Products if you are prohibited from receiving products, services or software under applicable law
Limits on liability
In addition to and without limiting the scope of the "Limits on liability" section in our Terms, you agree that we are not responsible for the actions, services, content or data of third parties and you release us, our directors, officers, employees and agents from any claims and damages, known or unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with any claim that you have against any such third parties.
If you are a California resident, you agree to waive California Civil Code § 1542, which says:
A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS THAT THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOUR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.
If anyone brings a claim, cause of action or dispute against us, which is related to your services, actions, content or information on Mentors Or Mentors Products or your use of Mentors Products, you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless from and against all damages, losses and expenses of any kind (including reasonable legal fees and costs) related to any such claim, cause of action or dispute.
The following terms apply to all creators and administrators of Mentors Tribes (herein referred to as Groups) and webinars. You are responsible for ensuring that your group or webinar complies with all applicable laws, statutes and regulations.
- Must not promote products, services or offers
- must not promote products, services, schemes or offers using deceptive or misleading business practices, including those intended to scam people out of money or personal information.
- must not impersonate or falsely represent a brand, entity or public figure. Where a group or webinar is being used to express support for or interest in a brand, entity or public figure, it must make clear in the name or description that it is not an official representation.
- must not facilitate or promote online gambling, online real money, games of skill or online lotteries without our prior written permission.
- must not inaccurately tag content or encourage users to inaccurately tag content.
- must not incentivise people to misuse features or functionality. (Example - encouraging users to give false reviews in return for free goods)
Collecting data from users
If you collect content and information directly from users, your Group must make it clear that you (and not Mentors) are collecting it, and must provide notice about and obtain user consent for your use of the content and information that you collect. Regardless of how you obtain content and information from users, you are responsible for securing all necessary permissions to reuse their content and information.
Mentors Commerce Policy
In some instances group administrators are able to sell products or services. Products and services sold on Mentors must comply with our Community Standards and the Mentors Commerce Policies. Our Commerce Policies provide rules on the types of products and services that can be offered for sale on Mentors, where sale of products has been expressly permitted or included in your membership agreement.
Sellers are also responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations. Failure to comply may result in a variety of consequences, including the removal of posted content. We reserve the right to reject, approve or remove any listing for any reason, in our sole discretion.
If your listing has been rejected for violating our Commerce Policies and you feel that it was a mistake, you can request a review by following these steps and we'll take another look.
Listings may not contain deceptive, false, misleading or offensive products and offers.
Listings may not promote the buying, selling or facilitation of online gambling for money or money's worth, including digital currencies.
Listings may not promote the buying or selling of real or fake documents, currency, financial instruments and virtual currency
Listings may not contain content that infringes upon or violates the intellectual property rights of any third party, including copyright or trademark. This includes, but is not limited to, the promotion or sale of counterfeits, such as goods that copy the trademark (name or logo) and/or distinctive features of another company's products to imitate a genuine product.
Listings must not wrongfully discriminate or suggest a preference for or against people because of a personal characteristic, including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, marital status, disability, or medical or genetic condition.
Listings on commerce products may not promote job opportunities. This prohibition includes job opportunities that fully describe the associated product or business model, as well as job opportunities that are misleading, deceptive, fraudulent or have an unclear business model.
These guidelines apply if you post or share any videos or other content containing music. Keep in mind you remain solely responsible for the content that you post, including any music that features in that content. Nothing in these terms constitutes any authorization by us with respect to any use of music on any of our Products.
Use of music for commercial or non-personal purposes in particular is prohibited unless you have obtained appropriate licenses.
If you post content that contains music owned by someone else, your content may be blocked, or may be reviewed by the applicable rights owner and removed if your use of that music is not properly authorized.
You may not be able to post or access videos containing music in every country of the world. We want you to be able to share videos with your friends wherever they are, but any music in your video, if it is allowed at all, may not be available in all countries of the world.
To provide the Mentors Products we must process information about you. The type of information that we collect depends on how you use our Products.
Things that you and others do and provide
- Information and content you provide. We collect the content, communications and other information you provide when you use our Products, including when you sign up for an account, create or share content and message or communicate with others.
- Networks and connections. We collect information about the people, accounts, hashtags and groups that you are connected to and how you interact with them across our Products, such as people you communicate with the most or groups that you are part of.
- Your usage. We collect information about how you use our Products, such as the types of content that you view or engage with, the features you use, the actions you take, the people or accounts you interact with and the time, frequency and duration of your activities. For example, we log when you're using and have last used our Products, and what posts, videos and other content you view on our Products.
- Things others do and information they provide about you. We also receive and analyse content, communications and information that other people provide when they use our Products. This can include information about you, such as when others share or comment on a photo of you, send a message to you or upload, sync or import your contact information.
We collect information from and about the computers, phones and other web-connected devices you use with Mentors Products. Information that we obtain from these devices includes:
- Device attributes: information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, battery level, signal strength, available storage space, browser type, app and file names and types, and plugins.
- Device operations: information about operations and behaviours performed on the device, such as whether a window is foregrounded or backgrounded, or mouse movements (which can help distinguish humans from bots).
- Identifiers: unique identifiers and device IDs.
- Data from device settings: information that you allow us to receive through device settings that you turn on, such as access to your GPS location, camera or photos.
- Network and connections: information such as the name of your mobile operator or ISP, language, time zone, mobile phone number, IP address and connection speed.
We use the information that we have to verify accounts and activity, combat harmful conduct, detect and prevent spam and other bad experiences, maintain the integrity of our Products, and promote safety and security on Mentors
We use the information that we have to send you marketing communications, communicate with you about our Products and let you know about our Policies and Terms. We also use your information to respond to you when you contact us.
Sharing on Mentors Products
When you share and communicate using our Products, you choose the audience for what you share. For example, when you post on Mentors, you select the audience for the post, such as a group, all of your friends, the public or a customised list of people. Similarly, when you use Messenger to communicate with people, those people can see the content you send. Your network can also see actions that you have taken on our Products.
You should consider who you choose to share with, because people who can see your activity on our Products can choose to share it with others on and off our Products, including people outside the audience that you shared with. When you comment on someone else's post or react to their content, your comment or reaction is visible to anyone who can see the other person's content.
If the ownership or control of all or part of our Products or their assets changes, we may transfer your information to the new owner.
How to contact us
On successful registration, you are given access to a centralized user account area. All services, products purchased and active subscriptions will be accessed from the switcher.
On this page
- Your Commitments To Mentors and Our Community
- Additional Provisions
- Other Terms That May Apply To You
- Community Standards
- Violence, Criminal and High-Risk Behaviour
- Objectionable Content
- Integrity and authenticity
- Respecting Intellectual Property
- Content-Related Requests
- Mentors Commercial Terms
- Groups Policies
- Mentors Commerce Policy
- Music Guidelines
- Data Policy
- How to contact us